Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Model 19 Foam Surrounds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Model 19 Foam Surrounds

    Just finished doing some foam surrounds for the 811 flares to satisfy my curiousity as to whether it makes any difference to the sound. I've recently done the mod that disconnects the HF pot from the crossover & have found that to be a tad too bright in some instances, although I must say that it brings through a lot more detail. I changed my preamp to another type & that has smoothed things out a bit & now there is just a touch of bite to the top end.

    After installing the foam surrounds I have found that it definitely has taken that slight edge off the sound, without any loss of information....so the best of both worlds really. I also notice a significant improvement in the imaging.....boy, these babies are really firing along now.

    I know....It's a bit rough....but the best I could do with a Stanley knife. The material I used was only 25mm thick (acoustic foam) & so I had to glue 2 pieces together to get the required thickness. I'll try to see if I can get some 50mm thick & cut it on a table saw....should be much better.

    Next step is to dampen the 811 with the paint & sand method.

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Model 19 Foam Surrounds


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Foam Surrounds

    Hi John, Good Job. If you get a chance you can try to taper the edges back farther along the sides of the 811.It is closer to what originals looked like.Here's a picture to help guide you.I can take measurements on thickness if you need them.:2thumbsup:

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Model 19 Foam Surrounds

    Thanks for that...now that I know that it makes a definite improvement I'll have another go with some 50mm foam & then it will be all in one piece. I get the idea of the taper & should be able to do that more accurately when cut on a table saw with a fine blade.

    Thanks for the pics,
    John

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Foam Surrounds

    Is that open cell as it should be? Looks closed on my monitor.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Red face Re: Model 19 Foam Surrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Is that open cell as it should be? Looks closed on my monitor.

    GM
    I don't know....how would I tell the difference?
    The company I bought it from said that it was "acoustic foam".
    I can tell you that it is very dense & the "pores" of the foam are...how should I say?....very tightly packed together.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Foam Surrounds

    You should be able to easily blow through it or use it as a sponge. Look at AB's to get an idea how densely packed the open pores should be. AFAIK, it's the kind used for filtration. If yours is acoustic foam (open cell), then I'm guessing it's the melamine type used for wall treatment, so designed to reduce room reverberation which handles a much lower BW than what's needed.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.